Country life.
There are a few things we could live without for sure though...
Lets say horseflies for instance. Even though one of us has yet to be bit by one, having them constantly flying around your head is truly annoying!
Another one -- mosquitoes.
We hate mosquitoes.We thought we had a whole lot of them at the old house but we were mistaken. I have never seen more than one bug bite on any of my children at one time... ever!
Now, I seem like a neglecting parent with the amount of bug bites my children have. Even Tessa. It makes my heart sick.
Trust me when I say it is not for lack of caring. We continue to spray a heck of a lot of bug spray on the children with every outing. In fact, I think we need to purchase more soon! No lectures about bug spray please {Grin} It is indeed the kid kind we use and I know it isn't the best thing for them.
And Abby says we also could not live without this...
Another thing we could live without is earwigs. Can we say grodie? They disgust me to no end.
I thought the earwigs were a minimum here (after only seeing two at first). I was wrong!
Earwigs like to come out in the dark and they hide in the dark downstairs bathroom at night for me to discover and kill during nightly bathroom breaks! Crunch!
And then there are Mice.
The first night we were here we saw our first one (well, Liam did. I just heard it). I have not heard or seen one since the first night when Liam scared the crap out of it by almost killing it. But, I did find yesterday in the cupboard a big pile of fluff and some turds -- telling me they are still here and procreating! Yay!
It is a very old house though, and there are bound to me mice in very old houses -- so we got a kitten! No kidding! His name is Smokey and if he is anything to mice like he is to my girls (gentle and never aggressive even when playing) than he may just be a new family pet instead of the mouser we expected! Good thing he is cute :)
And last but not least... ants. Tis the season right? Well, the ant traps we put out seem to attract the mice (joy) that is how we heard our fiend the first night. He had gotten a hold of it clunking it around. But, the ants are so stupid (see picture bellow) they seem to just run around and around it and have no idea how to get inside so we have had them since we moved in.
I have been avoiding spraying because the chemicals are harsh and now we have a cat that we could kill (oh and three kids). But, it is looking like we may have to take a day outing and get it done!
For real, I hate to complain. We are loving it here and loving this summer. There may be a little too much rain, but I could not complain about the temperature at all. I am not a summer lover. I hate the heat! But, I have been pleasantly surprised with how comfortable it has been. Liam and I thought we would die from lack of central air, but to be honest, even if we had it now we would not have needed it even once. We bought a fan one of the first nights here and used it only once. Most of our windows have even been closed at night because it gets so cool in here. Love it!
Well, now that you heard my little rant about the joys of country life I would like to hear yours. Have any joys you care to share?
Have a great weekend everyone (man I wish I could say Y'all), must be all those Americans blogs I have been reading! LOL
1 comment:
LOL! It will be fall before you know it and atleast bugs will be gone!
Post a Comment