Monday, September 28, 2009

Mouser

There was no doubt in my mind that when we moved into an old country farm house we were bound to have mice. No question at all. Let me tell you though I am shocked at the amount of mice this house has been blessed with. From the very first night we were here we were hearing, and seeing evidence of mice and so we got our mouser. Meet Smokey...



Isn't he cute? And, a good mouser he is. OR a good mouser he was, until he started going outside. Let me tell you, I had huge reservations about this. I have never let any of my cats outside in my whole life (all 4 of them) and never thought I would ever let one out. Country living caused me to change my opinions (as has litter changing -- mind you it took his awhile before he realized he could do his business outdoors) about outdoor/indoor cats and hence, when the escape artist exited the building on too many occasions and I could do nothing to catch him, I finally let him be. He always comes home and until recently he never spent a night outdoors. Yes, until recently. He has now spent two whole nights outside, or at least in the sun room. Because you know, this mouser is a smart kitty and he lets himself out the screen door and then lets himself in by climbing though a small whole in the bottom of it. SMART kitty! Or, is he? Silly cat has caught and eaten a whole lot of mice. He even catches them outside before they get in which is saying a whole lot. The problem? Well, I went to bed early last night and woke for a bathroom break around 11pm. I decided I would go online for a few minutes to see if i heart faces was allowing links yet (they were)! This was great! I got adding my post for this weeks entry when pitter-patting, scurrying across my living room floor, a tiny mouse. I yelled a little. "Smokey! Where the hell are you?". This yelling caused Liam to wake (Sorry Hon!) and he went and fetched the cat from his comatose state from Charlie's bed and put him in the direct vicinity of the mouse. Well, Smokey being the smart (AND LAZY) kitty that he is sniffed for about one and a half minutes and went straight back to bed. My feeling on the matter is that he is getting much to much fresh air in the day time and sleeping too much at night while he should be mousing. I think if he wasn't so cute I might fire him! Something seriously grosses me out about a mouse in the living room. I can handle them in the laundry room, and the basement but the living room is crossing the line.


Dear Mice,

I knew you would be lurking in our household and have fully accepted that. Please do us a favor though and stay out of any room where my children play and where we walk with bare feet. You are crossing the line. Also, if you could please only come out when Smokey is wide awake so he can catch you, we would be forever grateful.

Yours truly,

The Momma of this household



Dear Smokey,

Start catching mice again for Momma inside the house at night and make me proud! I will love you so much more then -- promise!

XOXO,

Momma

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha I dont know whether to laugh or shudder :-) even though i think living in an old farmhouse would be so cool - I dont know that I could handle the mice! :-)

Taylor said...

Perhaps Smokey was just full LOL?!