Friday, September 26, 2008

Abigail's Day Surgery




We arrived at KGH at 830 and went up to day surgery to check in. All was well during check-in. The lovely nurse took Abigail's vitals and then we were sent to the playroom to wait for the anithisist to come and talk to us. Abigail had a blast playing and it was so cute too. She was running around in her little white and yellow stripity gown with her little diapered butt sticking out! I was sad that I had forgotten to take my camera with me. Anna had met us there and used her camera to get some shots. Hopefully I will be able to get them and post them for everyone to see.

Just before 1000 the anithisist showed up and he asked us some questions. Before long we were getting called back to surgery. The room was scary! Looked just like the movies. Abigail started crying even before we entered the room at the site of her Mommy in a funny gown and cap! She continued to cry and then scream when I laid her down for them to gas her. It was horrible to have your baby laying there all helpless while someone held a mask over her face. I kept my composure though and after what seemed like minutes later they asked me to leave. Abigail was still fussing (but with her eyes closed). They told me she was REALLY fighting it! One of the nurses showed me out and took me to where recovery would be. As I took a few steps closer to the room I heared a baby crying.... tell me that's not her! The nurse smiled at me and said "Hon, it's okay... she is asleep". I sobbed LOL and sobbed. Felt VERY silly but the nurse assured me that this was a normal reaction from mothers (even when they weren't pregnant)!

After a very short time I got called on the phone again saying Abigail was in recovery and they were ready for me. It is funny how they tell you you will be with them when they wake up... not the case. I could hear her sobbing on the phone yelling "Mommy! Mommy!" it was aweful. Even after I arrived in revovery to console my child she continued to scream and sob and yell "Mommy!". That child was MAD! She wanted to go home.... and we did (after about half an hour). The second we stepped foot outside the hospital all was well and I pray that I NEVER have to go through this again with another child. Thank God for making Mommies strong.

The pictures above are from when we got home. The lovely nurse who checked us in gave puppy a hospital band too and I had to take a picture of their bands together.

No comments: