Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tribute to Gramma

The funeral service was a beautiful tribute to my Gramma yesterday. Thank you to Brian ( Gramma’s Minister), Anna and Mike for saying such true and profound words about our Gram. She is loved so much and will be missed greatly.

Here is the poem I wrote and read at the service yesterday:

 

Gramma’s gone to heaven, to reunite with Pop

When he sees her he smiles and embraces her

They begin their Tennessee Waltz.

 

We are sure gonna miss you here

I feel the aching in my heart

But we know you always loved us Gramma, from the very start.

 

So instead of saying goodbye

Because goodbyes are often hard

We will remember all you taught us in life

Even though our hearts may feel scared.

 

Family is what is important in life

Not much else really matters

We remember this and smile

Looking around this very room who has gathered.

 

Because although we may feel like falling

We are all there to catch each other

And Pop, he’s waited a long time for you

I can almost hear him calling

 

So off you go to heaven

We never will forget…

How you made snow angels with my girls

At the young age of 87.

 

Life will never be the same with you gone

We’ll keep making happy memories

I’ll you would want is for us to be strong.

 

I know when that pretty cardinal sings

or on my window sill sits a blue jay

It’s you and Pop here to assure us

We’ll see you again someday.

 

So strong for you I promise I’ll be

And strong for my children too

Until we reunite again, me and you.

 

and a poem Gramma chose to be read at Pop’s funeral which we also found quite appropriate for this occasion:

 

Now I’ve come to the end of the road and the sun has set for me.

I want not rites in gloom filled rooms

Who cry for a soul set free.

Miss me a little – but not too long

And now with your head bowed low,

Remember the love that we once shared

Miss me – but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take

And each must go alone,

It’s all part of the Master’s plan

A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick at heart

Go to the friends you know,

And burry your sorrow in doing good deeds

Miss me, but let me go!

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Beautiful poems! So glad it was a beautiful service.